Temple College was recently informed that the National Student Clearinghouse (NSC) identified a vulnerability and data breach in their use of the MOVEit Transfer Tool.
The NSC is a national group that provides enrollment and degree verification to the National Student Load Data System and other member schools to review students’ enrollment and financial aid eligibility. When NSC was notified about the data breach with the MOVEit Transfer Tool, they launched an investigation with law enforcement and cybersecurity experts to determine the extent of the breach.
Temple College, along with 890 other colleges and organizations, was affected by this data breach. NSC has identified students who may have been affected and has reached out to those students with additional resources. NSC has assured us that no sensitive information was breached, such as social security numbers or transcript data. The types of personal information leaked included names, contact information, and educational information.
No systems owned or maintained by Temple College were breached, and we continue to monitor and improve our cyber security posture.
While Temple College has been assured that there is little risk of identity theft, we encourage all our users to practice good cyber-security habits.
- Use strong passwords and don’t reuse passwords between websites.
- Use Multi-Factor Authentication when possible.
- Keep all of your personal electronic devices up to date.
- Choose secure wireless networks from trusted sources.
- Be suspicious of unexpected emails. When in doubt, don’t open the email and forward it as an attachment to the helpdesk for verification.
- Do not share personal information through email, social media posts, or other electronic formats.
As an added precaution, you can also learn more about the signs of identity theft from the Federal Trade Commission at https://www.identitytheft.gov/. Continue to monitor your financial accounts and credit reports and report any discrepancies quickly to your financial institution.
The NSC breach is still under investigation, so stay informed with the latest information at https://alert.studentclearinghouse.org/
For questions or concerns, feel free to reach out at email@example.com.